Disney Is the First Studio With Five $1 Billion Movies in One Year
Welcome to PopCrush's Daily Break! Here's a breakdown of today's hottest pop culture and lifestyle stories as heard on PopCrush Nights, airing across the country. Check out YouTube's new harassment policy, Donald Trump's Thanos ad and more below!
Disney Makes History
Disney has been killing the game this year. Plus, as of Monday they made history as the first studio to exceed $10 billion at the global box office. A lot of that had to do with the launching of their Disney Plus streaming service. They also have some movies they put out this year to thank: Avengers: Endgame, the reboots of The Lion King and Aladdin, Toy Story 4, and Captain Marvel all crossed the $1 billion mark in 2019. (via ScreenCrush)
The Top Reasons People Land in the Emergency Room During the Holidays
You know who is very busy during the holidays other than Santa? Hospitals. Here's why. (via Klove)
- A lot of people develop gastrointestinal problems, or even heart problems from taking in too much salt.
- Many people get injured or sick from consuming too much alcohol.
- Playing outdoor sports, especially if the weather is cold and icy, can set people up for slips and falls, which can lead to broken bones and sprains.
- Cooking a big old meal for Christmas can be a hazard for people who don't know how to cook. Doctors see a lot of kitchen injuries such as lacerations from chopping.
- Lastly, just the stress of being around family members, scrambling to buy gifts, and meeting end-of-year deadlines increases the percentage of heart attacks and chest pains.
YouTube's New Harassment Policy
YouTube is cracking down. As of yesterday, YouTube released a statement saying that they are going to start policing material that insults or demeans others because of their race, gender or sexual orientation. This policy will apply to videos and comments directed at anyone — including public officials, private individuals and YouTube creators. If you saw #YoutubeisOverParty trending yesterday, that's because it's no secret that a lot of creators make a living off of their channel being all about hate and talking smack. Enforcement will roll out over the coming weeks and months. (via The New York Times)
Time Magazine Announces Person of the Year
- Person of the Year: Greta Thunberg
- Entertainer of the Year: Lizzo
- Business person of the Year: Disney CEO Bob Iger
- Athletes of the Year: U.S women's soccer team
Feel-Good Story of the Day
Brad Paisley and his wife opened a free grocery store in Nashville, Tennessee, to help people in need. "The Store" is located on Belmont University's campus, Paisley's Alma Mater. This supermarket allows families who are referred by nonprofit and government agencies to shop at the grocery free of charge for one year so that they can get back on their feet. (via The BL)
Donald Trump's Thanos Ad
Jim Starlin, the creator of Thanos, isn't too happy about Donald Trump using his character for a re election ad.
Starlin, the comic book writer and creator of Thanos, spoke out about his dissatisfaction with Donald Trump being compared to Thanos. "It finally struck me that the leader of my country and the free world actually enjoys comparing himself to a mass murderer." (via The Shaderoom)
Chris Brown Welcomes New baby