Downtown Burger Battle 2020: The Market’s SoDak Grown Burger
January means it is Burger Battle season!
This year there are a whopping 16 burgers to try and I am trying to get through them all.
This year, voting is done via Downtown Sioux Falls' new app! It is called the DTSF Passport. It is so slick, smooth, and user friendly. You can find out more about the Burger Battle and the app here.
The first burger I tried this year was The SoDak Grown Burger at The Market. The Market has a winning streak going so I figured I'd start there.
The burger is described as, "A sirloin & brisket burger sits on our baconaisse, topped with white cheddar, coffee braised onions and a fried farm fresh egg, all tucked into a hemp bun with cheese popcorn."
My rule when doing the Burger Battle is to get the burger as described. Nothing left off. However, for this burger, I was sharing with a friend so we got the baconaisse on the side. I made sure to add it to my half.
These were my notes/feelings/thoughts"
- I've never had coffee braised onions before. They did give a nice subtle flavor.
- Not a huge fan of mayo personally, but adding bacon to it was very smart.
- I enjoyed the sweet pickles on my burger. Gave a nice crunch. Good mix of texture and the sweetness was a nice juxtaposition to the rest of the burger.
- Anytime an egg is on a burger I think that's a great decision.
- I'm not sure what hemp tastes like, but the bun was good. However, the burger was messy and the bun couldn't quite hold up to all the juiciness.
Overall, I liked the uniqueness of the flavors. Like I said, coffee braised onions? Who knew that would be so good?
But there are still 15 other burgers to try before I can claim a favorite.