As of July 1, 2021, a permit is no longer required to purchase a handgun in the state of Iowa. Unless you've been convicted of a felony or are under 21 years old, anyone can purchase a gun. If you're under 21 and would like a handgun, you must obtain a nonprofessional permit to carry weapons in Iowa. What if someone wanted to silence or suppress the sound their gun makes when pulling the trigger? Are gun silencers or "suppressors" legal in Iowa?

The only thing I know about gun suppressors is from the Call of Duty video basically nothing. A lot of my family members are hunters and I grew up duck and pheasant hunting. I've been around guns for a good chunk of my life. Even though I'm pretty familiar with and comfortable being around guns, I don't think I've ever seen a suppressor attached to a gun in real life before.

If you're unfamiliar with what a suppressor/silencer is, movies and video games have taught us they can be used to reduce the loud sound you hear when a gun is fired. While this is true and there is a reduction in the noise a gun makes while a suppressor is attached, there are some practical reasons for using one of these.

According to American Suppressor Association, suppressors/silencers can help "reduce recoil and help decrease muzzle flinch. This reduction can help with accuracy and shot placement." This video can help you hear the difference between a gun with and without a suppressor.

Suppressor Laws in Iowa

While there are 8 states that have banned suppressors, Iowa is not one of them. According to Gun Rights Attorneys, suppressors/silencers are legal in the state of Iowa, if you follow through with the requirements to own one. Those requirements are;

  • You must be a resident of the state of Iowa
  • You must be at least 21 years of age
  • You must be a resident of the United States
  • You must legally be able to purchase a firearm
  • You must be able to pass an ATF background check
  • You must pay a fee of $200 to the ATF for each suppressor you purchase

Once you have found the suppressor you'd like to purchase, you need to fill out "Form 4", which is sent to the ATF for approval. You will not be able to take possession of the suppressor until this process has been completed.

According to Gun Rights Attorneys, this process can take several months to complete before you can receive your suppressor tax stamp. Finally, you'll need to send a copy of your Form 4 to your local Chief Law Enforcement Official

Unique Sleds Iowans Have Used

How many of these unique sleds have you tried using?

Have You Seen All of these License Plates in Iowa?

Here are 25 different license plates you can see throughout Iowa.

More From Hot 104.7 - KKLS-FM