SIOUX CITY, IA -- A late penalty call against the Sioux Falls Stampede led to an overtime goal for the Sioux City Musketeers who downed the Herd 3-2 Friday night at the Tyson Events Center.

The penalty call with under a minute in regulation gave Sioux City a power play that they would score on just 41 seconds into overtime. The Stampede gained a point in the loss and now stand at 26-15-6 and two points behind the Musketeers (29-13-2) for third place in the West.

Ryan Schwalbe and Christian Horn tallied the goals for the Herd while Art Brey stopped 30 of 33 shots in goal for the Stampede who saw their two-game winning streak end, but have now earned at least a point in seven of their last eight games.

The first period was entertaining for the fans as both teams went back-and-forth with good scoring opportunities, but it wasn’t until the final seconds that the first goal was scored. Just seconds after a Stampede power play expired, the Herd took a 1-0 lead on Schwalbe’s 7th goal of the season. Garrett Cecere took a pass in the slot from Louis Nanne and fired a shot onto the Musketeers net that was stopped by Collin Olson, but the rebound came in the slot to Schwalbe who knocked home the rebound to give Sioux Falls a 1-0 lead after one. The Herd outshot Sioux City 14-7 in the period.

Sioux Falls Stampede
Sioux Falls Stampede

Sioux Falls had hoped to keep that momentum in the second, but the Musketeers tied the game 5:07 into the second period on a goal from Brandon Hawkins. Hawkins took a pass down the right wing boards and raced inside the right circle before blasting a shot past the glove side of Brey.

Sioux Falls tried to regain the lead by posting 14 shots on goal in the period, but Olson was solid between the pipes, shutting down the Herd offense. Defensively, Sioux Falls was solid allowing just seven shots in the period.

Sioux Falls held their 2-1 lead late into the third period, but the Musketeers would eventually tie the game at 16:40 when Garrett Cockerill found the back of the net. Cockerill took a pass up the right wing boards from Jared Thomas and blasted a shot from just inside the right circle past the stick side of Brey, off the left goalpost and into the back of the net to make it a 2-2 game.

It remained tied late into the period when C.J. Franklin was flagged for boarding at center ice with 41 seconds remaining in regulation. That put the Musketeers on the power play for the final seconds of regulation, but the Herd were able to hold them off and force overtime.

The Musketeers held a 4-on-3 advantage in the extra session and earned the victory just 41 seconds into overtime when Cockerill tallied his second goal of the night. Brandon Hawkins sent a pass from the slot into the top of the right circle where Cockerill’s fired a shot into the upper right hand corner of the net.

Sioux City finished the night 1-for-5 on the power play while the Herd were 0-for-3. Sioux Falls outshot the Musketeers 35 to 33 on the night.

The Herd return to action Saturday when they host the Fargo Force at 7:05 PM at the Sioux Falls Arena.

Courtesy:  Sioux Falls Stampede

More From Hot 104.7 - KKLS-FM