This Minnesota Restaurant Has Some of the Best Pizza in America
For years, there has been a great pizza debate raging in America.
Which is the gold standard?
New York thin crust or Chicago deep dish?
In fact, only one of the pizza joints in the Top Ten is in either the Empire State or Windy City.
Instead, it's California and Florida pizza parlors that make up nearly half of the top ten.
TOP PIZZA SPOTS IN AMERICA (Yelp)
- Sapori Di 786 Degrees - Pasadena, California
- Ciao! Pizza & Pasta - Chelsea, Massachusetts
- Zeneli Pizzeria & Cucina Napoletana - New Haven, Connecticut
- Smiling with Hope Pizza - Reno, Nevada
- Dixie Pizza Wagon - Hurricane, Utah
- Saverio’s Authentic Pizza Napoletana - Massapequa, New York
- Acqua e Farina by Ciro Esposito - Miami, Florida
- B+C Pizza - Laguna Niguel, California
- Toni’s Detroit Style Pizza - Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
- Napoli 1800 Cucina and Pizzeria - Miami, Florida
As for the Tri-State (Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota) area, only one location cracked the Top 100.
MaMa's Pizza in St. Paul's North End neighborhood sits at number 62 overall.
The restaurant opened at the corner of Rice Street and Front Avenue in 1964 and has been family-run place ever since, now its second generation of the Mangini/Mudzinski clan.
Their famous 'Peachie's Famous Red Sauce' is named after Mom, Peachie, who passed away in 1999. It's at the heart of almost all of their dishes, including their popular New Flavor Explosion Pizza, which features sausage, pepperoni, bacon, pineapple, and banana peppers.
One thing to know before you go to MaMa's - be prepared to get your pie to go.
The restaurant stopped dine-in service during COVID and has since made the decision to offer only take-out orders moving forward.