Will You Make Your Kids Sign a Cell Phone Contract?
This was a cell phone contract that was posted on Pinterest. I think this is a fantastic idea and when my kids hit 13 or so (my wife and I haven't discussed it yet) they will sign something like this.
What do you think? Is a contract going too far?
I, _______________, know that having a cell phone to use is a privilege. I understand that my parents love me and want to keep me safe. My parents respect that I am becoming a young adult and want the privilege of having the use of a cell phone. With that in mind, I agree that:
- My cell phone must be turned off by my bedtime and placed in an agreed upon location downstairs. It is my responsibility to be sure the cell phone is being charged when necessary.
- During family meals, my cell phone will be turned off or silenced and in my pocket or placed away from the table. I will not check texts or take calls during meal time.
- I will practice proper etiquette when using my cell phone in public places, and be conscious of how my usage affects those around me. I will make sure my phone is turned off or silenced when I am in church, restaurants, or other quiet settings, and I will not place or take texts or calls during those times.
- I understand that having a cell phone is a means of communication, and is not a replacement for actual face to face interaction with my friends and family members. Therefore, when I am with others, I will make the people I am with my priority.
- I understand that I am responsible for knowing where my cell phone is and for keeping it in good working condition.
- I will obey all rules my school has regarding cell phones usage on school grounds.
- I will never text while driving, and will not ride in a car with someone who does.
- I will not use my cell phone to take pictures or video of nudity, violence or other unlawful activity.
- I will not use my cell phone for malicious purposes, i.e. bullying, spreading rumors/gossip, etc, nor will I send text messages that are vulgar, obscene, or sexual in nature. I understand that such messages are both highly inappropriate and potentially illegal.
- I will alert my parents if I receive suspicious or alarming phone calls or text messages.
- I will alert my parents if I am being harassed by someone via my cell phone.
- I understand that my parents can go through the contents of my phone at any time, with or without my knowledge. I agree to surrender my cell phone immediately to my parents if asked. I will not delete my texting history without permission, and I will fully cooperate in showing my parents the contents of my cell phone, including contacts, pictures, videos, text messages, etc, stored within.
- I will always respond to my mom or dad’s texts/calls as soon as possible in the given situation.
- When at home, I will use the home phone to make calls. I understand that I do not have unlimited calling and that each call is charged by the minute. I will be responsible in my cell phone call usage when outside the house.
- I understand that my cell phone may be taken away for failing to complete school assignments or homework and for failing to maintain a sufficient grade point average, as defined by my parents.
- I understand that my cell phone may be taken away for disrespectful or disobedient behavior, including (but not limited to) back talking, inappropriate sibling interactions (i.e. fighting, hitting, name calling, etc.), and failure to complete responsibilities at home when asked or required.
- I understand that failure to follow and respect any of these rules can result in the loss of my cell phone for any length of time determined by my parents.