Least Shocking Study Ever Reveals Being a Virgin Can Hurt Your Dating Life
If you need a road map or someone in your ear instructing you like Cyrano de Bergerac when it comes to sex, chances are your pool of prospective mates has probably shriveled up more than George Costanza’s you-know-what after a swim.
According to a new study, 42% of all singles say they would not date a virgin. The news is even harsher for men – 51% of ladies say they wouldn’t go out with a fella who hasn’t gone all the way, while 33% of men say they wouldn’t date a woman who has yet to do something you'd see on Cinemax after dark.
These findings come courtesy of Match.com, the online cauldron boiling over with people looking for love. The site conducted a survey of nearly 5,500 single and 1,100 married people between the ages of 21 and 65 to get their take on sex, love and dating.
Some other interesting findings:
GOING ONLINE IS COOL...SERIOUSLY
Maybe it’s time we stop making fun of people who meet online, since nearly 28% of people say they have dated someone they met using some form of internet service, making it the most common place to meet other singles. Of course, this is a study funded by match-DOT-COM, so, you can bet they’re sure as heck gonna make it seem like going online is the modern day Studio 54, right?
THE MODERN BACKGROUND CHECK
48% of single women look someone up on Facebook before a first date, most likely to make sure they didn’t agree to go out with the next Jeffrey Dahmer. That’s compared to the 38% of men who do the same thing. Just about half of all women would cancel a first date if they see something they don’t like while checking them out online, so remember that next time you're debating posting that "selfie" of you flashing the Vulcan “live long and prosper” sign. Only about 27% of men would cancel a date after looking up a person; which only proves how many men are very, very desperate.
"WE'RE FRIENDS. NAKED FRIENDS."
Friends with benefits is proving to be more than just a cheesy Justin Timberlake-Mila Kunis movie, since 47% of singles admit to having had that kind of relationship in the past. This data marks the third consecutive year that the number has increased, which means you need to make some new friends.
THE SEXTUAL REVOLUTION HAS JUST BEGUN
Sexting continues to be a thing, according to the 57% of single men and 45% of single women who claim to have received a racy text. Be warned, though: 23% of people say they have shared them with other people, so if you’re planning to send one, at least get someone else to edit it because a second set of eyes can go a long way in lessening the damage when other people make fun of your pseudo-’50 Shades of Grey’ erotic literary abilities later on.
Seventy-one percent of women say they have no interest in dating someone shorter than they are. The other 29% have all divorced Tom Cruise already.
MARRIAGE ISN'T THE END OF THE WORLD
Just over 40% of married couples have sex at least once a week. More than 80% of married men and women say they would tie the knot with the same person again, which really only proves Kris Humphries was not a part of this study.
"I'M HERE FOR YOU"
A whopping 97% of singles claim they’re more concerned with meeting their partners’ sexual needs than their own. The other 3% say the blow-up doll never complains, so everything is fine.
GET THE VIAGRA READY
Finally, when asked what would make them happier, 30% of single people over the age of 70 and 25% of singles over the age of 60 agreed: more sex. Strangely, a new hip or a free meal during the early bird special was nowhere to be seen.