Sportscaster Back At Work After Propane Grill Accident
Subscribe to Hot 104.7 – KKLS-FM on
Hannah Storm has been on TV covering sports for years with NBC and now ESPN, primarily anchoring Sportscenter. She has been off the air until yesterday after a propane grill accident gave her first and second degree burns, and in the process, teaching people a valuable lesson in grilling safety.
On December 11, she was warming up her grill at her Connecticut home. After checking it and seeing that it had blown out, she tried to relight the grill. Unknown to her, and against the same logic I have used in the same situation, there was still a significant amount of propane in the air around the grill. When she lit it, it exploded. Much of her hair, eyebrows and eyelashes were burned off. She also suffered burns to her chest, neck, and left had when she tried to pull her flaming shirt off.
As Storm explains in the video, propane is heavier than air and can pool inside the grill and underneath it if you are not in a well ventilated area. Keep that in mind the next time you want to grill some burgers or brats.