Sioux Falls Fire Rescue Halloween Safety Tips
As you are Trick or Treating this year Sioux Falls Fire Rescue would like you to keep these important safety tips in mind as your kids are out and about.
Kids’ Safety Tips
• Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.
• Look left, right, and left again when crossing the street. Keep looking as you cross.
• Don’t dart out into the street or cross between parked cars.
• Make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them.
• Always walk on sidewalks. If the neighborhood has no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far left as possible.
• Always choose well-lit streets.
• Watch for cars that are turning or backing up out of driveways.
• Only go to homes with a porch light on and never enter a home or car for a treat.
• Always walk and don’t run from house to house.
• Enter homes only if you are with a trusted adult.
• Never accept rides from a stranger.
Parents’ Safety Tips
• Children under the age of 12 should not be alone at night without adult supervision.
• Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers and choose light colors.
• Choose face paint and makeup whenever possible instead of masks, which can obstruct a child’s vision.
• Have kids carry glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers.
• When selecting a costume, make sure it is the right size to prevent trips and falls.
• When shopping for costumes, wigs, and accessories, look for and purchase those with a label clearly indicating they are flame-resistant.
• Examine all treats for choking hazards and tampering before eating them.
• Eat only factory-wrapped treats. Avoid eating homemade treats made by strangers.
You can get more great safety tips at Siouxfalls.org. Have a Happy & Safe Halloween!