Report: Prince’s Cause of Death Was an Opioid Overdose [Updated]
Speculation regarding the circumstances of Prince’s death has now been confirmed as true. According to the Associated Press, Prince died of an opioid overdose. The Midwest Medical Examiners Office reports an overdose of Fentanyl as the cause of death.
On April 21, Prince was found dead inside an elevator in his Paisley Park compound. The painkiller Percocet was found on his body, but it turned out to be an overdose of Fentanyl which killed Prince. Fentanyl is an extremely powerful opioid roughly 40-50 times more powerful than pure heroin.
A full report from the Medical Examiner's office has been released:
The Associated Press claims the overdose news was given to them by a law-enforcement official close to Prince’s death investigation. The source chose to remain anonymous because he was not authorized to speak to the media.
Less than a week before his death, Prince’s private plane made an emergency stop in Moline, Ill. First responders reportedly gave Prince a shot of Narcan, which is used in cases of suspected opioid overdoses. Many close to Prince were unaware of the musician’s painkiller use, though it was well known he had been suffering from hip and knee pain. Prince even underwent hip replacement surgery in 2010.
Two doctors’ names have come up in the investigation of Prince’s death. Stay tuned as further developments are revealed.
Rockers We've Lost in 2016
10 Unforgettable Prince Moments