How Safe Is Your Hospital? See South Dakota’s Best and Worst
You may find this hard to believe but not all hospitals are safe. Every year about 648,000 hospital patients develop infections during their stay at a hospital and about 75,000 die. Hospitalsafetygrade.org released its rankings for hospitals across the US for Fall 2016 and for the state of South Dakota, we did very well except for one out west.
The survey was done to 9 hospitals in the state and were given grades of A, B, C, D or F. Only two hospitals were graded with an A. Avera Sacred Heart Hospital in Yankton and Avera Queen of Peace Health Services in Mitchell. Here is the complete list:
- Avera McKennan Hospital and University Health Center-Sioux Falls-B
- Sanford University of South Dakota Medical Center-Sioux Falls-B
- Prairie Lakes Healthcare System-Watertown-C
- Avera Sacred Heart Hospital-Yankton-A
- Avera Queen of Peace Health Services-Mitchell-A
- Avera St. Luke's-Aberdeen-C
- Avera St. Mary's Healthcare Center-Pierre-B
- Rapid City Regional Hospital-Rapid City-B
- Spearfish Regional Hospital-Spearfish-D
You can see the complete list here.