Hero Dog Dies Saving Family of Seven in Gayville House Fire
A dog is being credited for saving the lives of a family of seven in a devastating house fire in Gayville, SD.
The Gayville Fire Department, along with Yankton and Volin fire departments, were called to a house fire around 5:00 AM Wednesday morning. Upon arrival they found the house nearly engulfed in flames.
- The Saying Could Be Changed To "A Dog Is a Little Man's Best Friend". A Golden Retriever Mix Saves His 3-Year Old Friend.
According to the Yankton Daily Press and Dakotan, assistant Fire Chief Lonny Lee said the family dog barked and alerted the family to the fire and were able to escape the burning house.
Sadly, the dog died in the blaze.
This family did not have any working smoke detectors.” - Gayville Fire Department assistant fire chief Lonny Lee
The family is currently staying with relatives and neighbors while they try to rebuild their lives and find out where to go from here. They are being provided with clothing, food, and infant supplies according to the American red Cross.
It's a good time of year to make sure all smoke detectors are in working order in your home.