Fireworks in Apartment Hallway Land Sioux Falls Boys in Hot Water
Two Sioux Falls boys pushed beyond the limits of city ordinance Sunday on the last legal day to light fireworks in South Dakota.
According to Police Spokesman Sam Clemens residents of an apartment building on the 300 block of South Summit Avenue were sent outside by the actions of two boys ages 9 and 12.
“They lit the fireworks in the hallway and that caused the notification to go off. Everybody evacuated the building. Somebody had left some food on the stove and then that started burning and started more smoke.”
Fortunately no one was injured and residents were allowed back into the apartment building. The estimated damage to the carpet and the smoke damage in the apartment was about $6,000.
Because of the ages of the boys involved, the 12-year-old can be charged with a crime. As to the 9 year-old, Clemens says the States Attorney’s Office would hold sway in bringing charges.