Cougars Host UMD, St. Cloud State
SIOUX FALLS, SD — Sioux Falls returns to their home court to host a pair of NSIC north foes this weekend. Friday night the Cougars lineup against the University of Minnesota-Duluth (4-7, 2-5 NSIC) for their first meeting in 30 years. On Saturday, USF faces St. Cloud State University (9-2, 6-2 NSIC), who returns three starters from the 2011-12 team that downed the Cougars 68-49 last season (11/11).
Their last time out, USF fell 76-71 in overtime at Winona State on Saturday. It was their third-consecutive loss.
• Saturday’s matchup features the top scoring offense in the NSIC in SCSU (78.5) vs. the No. 1 scoring defense, USF (61.8).
• The Cougars have dropped six of their last seven contests.
• USF is 1-4 all-time vs. the SCSU and 0-1 against UMD. Friday marks the first meeting between USF and UMD in 30 years.
• Last Saturday USF sank a season-high 10 3-pointers at Winona State.
• UMD first year head coach Matt Bowen guided Bemidji State to a convincing 68-49 victory over the Cougars, as the Beavers’ head coach last season.
• USF has won 20 of their last 21 games played at the Stewart Center. Their lone conference victory this season came at home.
• As a team, the Cougars are shooting just 69% from the free throw line, their worst under head coach Chris Johnson.
• The last time SCSU and USF met, Derek Brown led the Cougars with 12 points and four rebounds, while A.J. Holland added seven points and five rebounds. The Bulldogs current leading scorer Theo Rothstein led the way for the Huskies with a game-high 15 points and five rebounds.
Courtesy: University of Sioux Falls