Cookie Monster’s Original Cookie Recipe Recovered
Turns out Cookie Monster doesn’t just eat cookies, he bakes them, too.
But Cookie Monster’s very own original cookie recipe has now resurfaced. It first appeared in the 1970s in “Big Bird’s Busy Book. ” And contrary to popular belief, Cookie Monster’s favorite cookie is not chocolate chip. He apparently prefers good old fashioned sugar cookies. Here are the instructions for you to bake them at home:
3/4 cup unsalted butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking flour
1 teaspoon salt
Medium-sized mixing bowl
Measuring cup and spoons
1. Put 3/4 cup of butter or margarine (that’s a stick and a half) into your mixing bowl.
2. Measure 1 cup of sugar.
3. Pour sugar over butter.
4. With fork, squash butter and sugar together until they are blended.
5. Crack open two eggs and pour eggs over mixture in bowl.
6. Measure 1 teaspoon vanilla and pour over mixture.
7. With fork, blend everything in the bowl together.
8. Measure 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and pour over mixture in bowl.
9. Measure 1 teaspoon baking powder and sprinkle over flour.
10. Measure 1 teaspoon of salt and sprinkle over flour and baking powder.
11. Mix everything together either with the fork or with your hands.
12. Put dough in icebox to chill (at least one hour).
Cookie Monster says you can make lots of dough at once, and save it in a plastic bag in your freezer for future baking. However, he must have been preoccupied, eating all the dough before he got around to including the baking time instructions. Thankfully Thekitchn.com comes to the rescue, recommending rolling out the cookies 1/4 inch thick, sprinkling with sugar, and baking at 400 degrees.