Almost 1 Million People Used Sioux Falls Bike Trail In 2016
According to the latest numbers, nearly one million people used Sioux Falls' bike trail system in 2016.
In 2015, six trail traffic counters were installed throughout the city’s main trail loop. Last year trail counters registered more than 980,000 users on the trail system. More than 10,000 cyclists use the core section of the trail system each month on average.
Sioux Falls Bike Trail Stats:
- 64 percent of trail users are cyclists
- 36 percent of trail users are pedestrians
- The Spencer Park section was the most popular part fo the system
- The Spencer Park section saw over 216,000 users in 2016
- Highest single day pedestrians use was Monday, September 26, with more than 1,200 pedestrians at Spencer Park.
- The most popular day for cyclists was Sunday, May 29, with more than 1,900 riders at Pasley Park.
“The trail counters allow us to better understand when, where, and how our trail system is utilized,” said Mike Patten, Sioux Falls Park Development Specialist. “The data collected from these counters provides valuable information in the planning and design of future trail construction projects. In addition to identifying general usage patterns, the trail counters provide specific traffic volumes, user percentages, direction of traffic, and weather conditions that can be analyzed in up to 15-minute increments. All this information, combined with a Level of Service calculation model, is utilized to help properly design trails that meet the usage needs of our community.”
Source: City of Sioux Falls