10 Things You’re Doing That Could Shorten Your Life. If This List is Accurate, I Might Die Tomorrow.
I was going through some old papers I had saved and came across an interesting piece of information. I had copied the information from some source and saved it. I don't know where it came from, but there must've been a reason I kept it. Maybe because it included some pretty shocking information.
The name of the article was "10 Things You're Doing That Might Be Shortening Your Life." I can relate to nearly all of them.
1. You're single. According to studies, being single for long periods of time could shave a decade off your lifespan. (I have a cat. Does that still mean I'm single?)
2. You sit for long periods of time. If you sit for more than three hours a day, you're cutting years off your life. (I work in radio... the laziest job on the planet. Of course I sit for long periods of time.)
3. You don't have a lot of friends. Being lonely can be as bad for your health as smoking 15 cigarettes a day. (Hey! I have 613 friends on Facebook. That doesn't count?)
4. You watch a lot of TV. According to a study, every hour of TV you watch reduces your lifespan by 21 minutes. (I watch a lot of Food Network. I'll die knowing that I can make a killer macaroni and cheese.)
5. You eat unhealthy. None of us eat healthy 100% of the time, but this study showed eating red meat can shorten your life by 20%. (Luckily, I didn't eat any red meat today, but I did have two ice cream drumsticks, some cheese Pringles and a can of Coke.)
6. You're unemployed. If you don't have a regular job, you increase your risk of premature death by 63%. (I have a job, but I say nearly every day, "This job will be the death of me.")
7. You don't have enough sex. You're 50% more likely to die prematurely than people who get lucky on a regular basis. (Like I said...I live with a cat.)
8. You put up with annoying co-workers. People who get along with their co-workers tend to live longer. (Two words - Ben Davis.)
9. Your not getting enough sleep. If you get less than 5 hours of sleep per night or more than nine hours, your life expectancy decreases. (I get a good 7-8 hours of sleep per night, but when the alarm goes off, it never seems like enough.)
10. You fear death. The fear of death can actually cause you to have a shorter lifespan. (After reading this list, heck yes I fear death. The grim reaper should be knocking on my door about now.)